The Short Cut:
A quick fire chat about working life with Sue Parker
At the heart of the Nurture Network is the power of sharing experiences. From breakthrough career moments, to best ever advice, how to deal with stress and the women that inspire them.
The Short Cut designed to bring you a snapshot of our members’ working lives. Today we’re speaking to Sue Parker founder at Empowered Leaders in Tech
Tell us about your breakthrough career moment
- When I realised I had been working towards the wrong goal and I was put in a position where I finally worked out my values and priorities.
- I realised that family & freedom mattered more than a job title. That creating a lifestyle business where I could build something meaningful was intrinsically motivating.
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever had?
To follow your heart and execute with your head.
Have you ever felt held back as a woman in business? How did you respond?
Yes – there is a perception that a) we don’t make good leaders, are too nice and b) we don’t want to make the effort, c) we are judged by harsher values & finally d) we are constantly having to reprove ourselves.
When I finally got the courage I would openly challenge this statement. I was the one who would ask the CEO where the women were. But then after some time I thought no, I’m going to create my own legacy.
But I see confidence as the biggest thing that holds us back.
How do you protect your mental health in moments of pressure?
I make it a daily recharge point to get outside into green spaces to go for a walk or run in the woods or park.
I also listen to sleep meditations to help my brain to unwind. I exercise most mornings with the kids, it’s amazing how quickly we start laughing. We focus a lot on gratitude as a family – sometimes I get emotional but that just means you’re feeling it
Do you have any hobbies to keep you busy in your spare time?
- My two young kids 3 and 6 keep me constantly striving to teach them
- We are renovated our third house together and so spare time can often be attending interior design shows, show rooms or planning a room
- I love French & Italian culture – travelling and learning the languages
I feel empowered when…
… I have clarity on my goals and next steps, when I can see the purpose in something and am growing in the process.
The world would be a better place when…
…there is more love, more equality, less ego and judgement.
The woman everyone should know about is …
The woman who empowers me the most is…
Where is your favourite place in the world?
South West France.